Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Minestrone and Barley Squares

We spent the day at the Children's Museum. We are definitely getting our money's worth with our membership. No matter how many times we go, Jackson and Olivia always find something new to do and we end up staying for several hours.



Deep in concentration, check out that raised eyebrow!


For dinner I made the Monkey Minestrone from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. Yum. This tasted even better than the Complete Italian Vegetarian minestrone recipe I've been using for years and years! I guess this is why I never stop trying new recipes. You never know when you'll come across one that's the best you've ever tasted.


For dessert, I made the Caramel Nut Barley Squares from Whole Grain Vegan Baking. I won this cookbook in Dynise's giveaway and, at her suggestion, this was the first recipe I tried out.  These little bars look so fancy, yet they're made in under an hour. They taste decadent -- a shortbread layer is topped with caramel and nuts, followed by melted chocolate -- yet they're made with barley flour, coconut oil, and brown rice syrup, so they're a fairly healthy dessert. Dynise, thank you for the book, and the suggestion!


No comments:

Post a Comment